I recently had the privilege of moderating a panel of research professionals at the Canadian Market Research Conference (MRIA). Our topic focused on how insights leaders – whether agencies or enterprises – are transforming the insight function and their deliverables to meet the evolving needs of the enterprise client. Here are some highlights from our panel conversation:
- Leaders are challenging the status quo. These panelists are making changes and having an impact on their respective organization. Across the spectrum of large to mid-sized enterprises, these participants see their role as being an insight integrator, a research champion and a change agent.
- Data quality and research integrity are table stakes. Less time is spent explaining the “nuts and bolts” of the research, yet expectations are high for research integrity and validity.
- Storytelling and visualization have gone mainstream. Participants are utilizing a number of approaches to “tease” out the story. For example, Lisa De Lima from Loyalty One creates the report framework and story while she creates her questionnaire. She’s a visual learner, and it is easy for her think this way. Others on her team dig into the data to craft their story. So being flexible is key.
- Interactive dashboards are gaining popularity as part of the reporting mix. Allowing insights “access for all,” as well as flexibility & efficiency are key drivers in using dashboards to distribute information in a timely manner.
- Data continues to be in silos. Integration continues to be a challenge, and it will take partnering both internally and externally to achieve a goal of having a “single source of intelligence.” Two of our panelists talked about integrating viewpoints from sales and operations to enrich the insights and gain greater organizational buy-in. Others are pushing for greater access to sales and marketing data.
One last point from our panelists. Amy Davies, from Acklands-Grainger said, “you have to be passionate about your work and it makes a difference. People take notice of you, your team and the insights.”
May you find inspiration and passion in your work this week!
Many thanks to our panelists: Maelyn Angulo, Manager of CX Strategy, Capital One; Kyle Davies, Director of MR, Brand Brand Loyalty; Amy Davies, Head of Insights, Acklands-Grainger; Lisa de Lima, Associate Director of MR, Loyalty One; and Phil Scrutton, VP of Shopper Insights, BrandsSpark Intl.
Latest posts by Beth Rounds (see all)
- MRIA Conference Recap: Canadian Insights Leaders are Making Progress! - June 12, 2017
- Dapresy Welcomes New Investor - May 17, 2017
- From Charts to Infographics - March 18, 2017